129 posts
  • 13 / 13
 by Rams the Legends live on
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   1987  
United States of America   Colorado Springs
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:Or you can just say we don't need to prove many or few do or do not get over it. Bullying should just not be tolerated, period, on principle.

If we are going to do psychological testing (which we're not so it's hypothetical) why not do it on the bullies.

Because in this argument the solution being offered and growing when victims cross the line to the other side, that argument is we should suspend the right to own guns. Or that is the end goal of the argument right now we are just hearing the steps to get there.

The core of that argument and even your use of the word "many" have a common ancestor or a commonality. They are both based on emotion and emotion based arguments and words can be problematic. The problem they pose is that they are feeling driven and contrary to what many people believe, feelings are not facts.

Emotions and feelings are in fact another experience that are individual. Therefore they can only be defined particular by just that a individual.

So even the same usage of a word in argument by two or more individuals. Even to assign them all the same position on the argument. They will still have a different definition for the same word because it is a emotional argument.

Which emotions can create a worse effect than the original problem. I agree bullying is wrong and it should be stopped. However until we can deal with that which is a condition of ones heart. Which history in memorial tells us that we since recorded history are still in a struggle to find a way to deal with the issues of ones heart.

So until we can find such a solution we have to find a way to stop the real hemorrhaging. Which make no mistake victims crossing the line and spilling blood en mass is just that a hemorrhaging.

So lets face it only a fool would not recognize that bullying is the heart of the matter and we need to stop that. However like a ailment or injury, sometimes you have to treat the symptoms first before you can treat the root problem.

Which if we don't understand this argument soon enough as I said the solution being offered is the loss of guns. That will not solve the problem because we have data that shows that all that does is leave it up to people to find another tool.

We can take the hammer away because people smash their thumb with it. However all we will find is what generations before us did, that people still smash their thumb when they use a rock to hammer.

So this is why we need data and stats and hard line facts because as your usage was emotional much of this argument is framed in emotion. Which emotion arguments oft lead to emotional responses, which that leads to problems exponentially.

by snackdaddy
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   9630  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Legends wrote:I'm not nearly as smart as most of you guys so I have to keep this simple. I was fortunately not bullied in school, but my Mom (God rest her soul) taught me that when I saw it, to be a friend of that person. In other words set an example of love for others. It works. Years later I had people thank me for my actions. Not trying to massage my ego here. Just sharing something that works.

When I was a freshman in high school I was 5'3" 115 pounds. I got picked on quite a bit and I was basically a passive non confrontational type of kid. Seemed like everyone was bigger than me. Even some girls. It made my freshman year miserable.

I had a couple growth spurts and by the time I was a senior I was 6-0" over 200 lbs. I had a chip on my shoulder and went looking for those bullies. Seemed like they all moved away by then. Just my luck. :evil:

by snackdaddy
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   9630  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:excellent point. with spell checkers and copy editors the true context of things can be changed .... I hope that made sense ... many times I just can't quite find the right words to say what I really mean.

You sound like a married man. 8-)

by dieterbrock
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:You sound like a married man. 8-)

Great point.
I meant to say, honey will you pass me the milk?
But instead it came out like,
You effing bitch, you ruined my life
Whoops

by BobCarl
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   4282  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

dieterbrock wrote:Great point.
Whoops

Can I get a free cat with that?

by aeneas1
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Great point.
Whoops

:D :D

by /zn/
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Rams the Legends live on wrote:Because in this argument the solution being offered and growing when victims cross the line to the other side, that argument is we should suspend the right to own guns. Or that is the end goal of the argument right now we are just hearing the steps to get there.

The core of that argument and even your use of the word "many" have a common ancestor or a commonality. They are both based on emotion and emotion based arguments and words can be problematic. The problem they pose is that they are feeling driven and contrary to what many people believe, feelings are not facts.

Emotions and feelings are in fact another experience that are individual. Therefore they can only be defined particular by just that a individual.

So even the same usage of a word in argument by two or more individuals. Even to assign them all the same position on the argument. They will still have a different definition for the same word because it is a emotional argument.

Which emotions can create a worse effect than the original problem. I agree bullying is wrong and it should be stopped. However until we can deal with that which is a condition of ones heart. Which history in memorial tells us that we since recorded history are still in a struggle to find a way to deal with the issues of ones heart.

So until we can find such a solution we have to find a way to stop the real hemorrhaging. Which make no mistake victims crossing the line and spilling blood en mass is just that a hemorrhaging.

So lets face it only a fool would not recognize that bullying is the heart of the matter and we need to stop that. However like a ailment or injury, sometimes you have to treat the symptoms first before you can treat the root problem.

Which if we don't understand this argument soon enough as I said the solution being offered is the loss of guns. That will not solve the problem because we have data that shows that all that does is leave it up to people to find another tool.

We can take the hammer away because people smash their thumb with it. However all we will find is what generations before us did, that people still smash their thumb when they use a rock to hammer.

So this is why we need data and stats and hard line facts because as your usage was emotional much of this argument is framed in emotion. Which emotion arguments oft lead to emotional responses, which that leads to problems exponentially.

My comments weren't emotional. I wasn't emotional at all, really. If you read them that way, you just took it wrong.

You're overthinking this IMO. I say that with all due respect. It's not a big "criticism."

But, people can share common sense, conversational insights on an issue like this. We don't need to act like there's nothing to say until the studies are all in.

And for the record I was never bullied nor have I been a bully.

When she was in 4th grade my daughter snapped when a guy kept picking on her, so she beat him up with her lunch bucket and when he fell to the ground commenced kicking him. I like the way the school handled it. He was the one who got in trouble. Suspended, parents brought in, the whole 9 yards. When I picked her up from school she was sobbing and apologetic. I told her she was not in trouble with us (me n the wife) but joked her out of her remorse by saying it was okay this time but if I ever heard she had beaten the entire school up, there could be repercussions at home.

This is a minor story to tell in the same thread where someone talks about their school shooting experience. My story is just closer to the everyday norm with things like this.

• 13 / 13
129 posts Mar 28 2024