8 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by ramsman34
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8463  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Think about it: The RAMS had to rebuild/retool their offense last season and did a remarkable job. Going forward, there are only 2 real holes left to fill - OC and WR. The Rams are presumable set at WR even if Watkins walk due to the fact that they have Reynolds and Thomas, they spread the ball around to many receiving options, and the TE's are sure to further develop and play a larger roles in the pass game going forward. At OC, I am almost certain the Rams re-sign Sullivan and draft/sign a younger OC for him to groom. Not too mention, Blythe played pretty well when called upon.

This offseason, it's all about restructuring the D. DC has been partially taken care of with the Peters trade.

Here are the areas the Rams have to deal with on that side of the ball - working back to front: * denotes work really needs to get done.

DC1 - SET, Peters
FS - Tag, sign Joyner, then SET
SS - SET - J Johnson
*Slot - re-sign NRC, if that fails???
DC2, hope Webster returns to form and/or that Hill develops further
ILB1 - Set, O Tree
* ILB2 - Barron either restructures taking less $ or Littleton becomes the Guy, or??
OLB1 - Quinn restructure? or is his cap number still manageable
*OLB2 - Barwin gone or re signs on the cheap?, Ekuban/Price youth in the pipeline - largely unproven
DE/3 tech - SET - Donald. Better get to that blockbuster deal soon however
*NT - Uhhh, crickets...
DE - SET- Brockers

We have some decent depth at DE, uncertain depth at ILB/OLB, no real depth at at DC/S, no starter at NT, and must get the slot corner set as well as another edge rusher who isn't a total liability against the run, and someone who can play a 30-front NT keeping the ILBs cleaner.

This is the offseason for the D to get retooled and the cap to get realigned through that process. The offense is relatively set. And IF they can get Sammy on a cap-cool deal, re sign Sullivan then draft OL depth, we are pretty set on O assuming the continued development at WE/TE/QB.

by ramsman34
6 years 1 month ago

This posted here as an overview - my opinion of course - as to what needs to get done to ensure this team improves on last season.

by sloramfan
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

peters is a DC?...

i thought he was a CB...

:)

jk

go rams

slo

by ramsman34
6 years 1 month ago

LOL. CB is generic these days. Defensive corner (outside) slot (inside, of course)

by ramsman34
6 years 1 month ago

At the end of the day, I think players value winning and chances at Superbowls a lot higher than we think compared to just getting paid. Tjhat said, I also think players realize just how impressive and powerful the Rams organization is becoming. Add to this the state of the art facility and all the peripheral "fun' LA has to offer and I think a lot of players want to come here and stay here.

I would not be surprised if we kept Watkins, Joyner, NRC, Sullivan, Quinn, and get Donald deal done this off season. Hell Barwin might even be back if the deal is right. These guys know what the Rams have and are building. They want to be a part of it and can still make very good money in the process - not too mention all the secondary and tertiary revenue streams available to them in the LA market that simply aren't available in any other market except NY.

by snackdaddy
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I think the Rams top priority during free agency should be to re-sign or tag their own players. In my opinion the priorities should be as follows:

1. Joyner: An upper tier free safety who figures to get better after only one season at that position. Lock him up now before he commands an even bigger contract. Could be the next Earl Thomas.

2. Watkins: A full offseason and training camp for a true number one receiver. With him the Rams would have one of the best receiving groups in the league. Imagine that after years of Fisherball that resulted in players like Pettis, Quick, Britt, etc.

3. Robey-Coleman: Good slot corners are not easy to come by and he's one of the better ones.

4: Sullivan: Along with Whitworth his steady play and high intelligence really stabilized what was once the weakest area of the team. I believe he's still got enough in the tank for another season or two. Plus, he can mentor his eventual successor.

5: Easley: I know he had a serious injury, but he should come cheap enough. He was slated to be a possible starter. With a healthy Easley it would make rotating the defense and keeping them fresh a lot easier for Wade.

After that its a matter of acquiring depth through lower level free agents and the draft. Fill those holes and the draft can be used what it was meant for. Long term future success. Having to rely on 1st and second year players to turn the team around usually meant failure. Develop the youngsters and lock the good ones up so they can be a part of a long running successful franchise.

by bubbaramfan
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1117  
United States of America   Carson Landfill
Pro Bowl

Dom Easley may be in the mix at DT. His ACL surgery went well and he's almost fully recovered. He says the knee was restructured and is stronger than before he tore the ACL. He was on the sideline with the Rams bench in street clothes at every Rams home game (without crutches or even a brace). He's determined to play this year. He's a FA and it will be an indicator if the Rams re-sign him. He would be valuable even as a rotational player. He'd come cheap and Rams already know what he brings to the game.

by ramsman34
6 years 1 month ago

bubbaramfan wrote:Dom Easley may be in the mix at DT. His ACL surgery went well and he's almost fully recovered. He says the knee was restructured and is stronger than before he tore the ACL. He was on the sideline with the Rams bench in street clothes at every Rams home game (without crutches or even a brace). He's determined to play this year. He's a FA and it will be an indicator if the Rams re-sign him. He would be valuable even as a rotational player. He'd come cheap and Rams already know what he brings to the game.

Good to hear on Easley. Not sure if that leaves us searching for the so-called prototypical space eating, 2-gap massive NT or not. Again, depending on him being re-signed.

• 1 / 1
8 posts Mar 28 2024