191 posts
  • 18 / 20
 by river
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   111  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

/zn/ wrote:That's not the issue. No one is debating that. Another way to look at it is this. AW demonstrated how important LOT is, as if we didn't already know. Well he will not be the Rams LOT indefinitely. Therefore caring about LOT means wanting to see that addressed. And for me that does not mean waiting till AW has a subpar year and then watching as the Rams are forced to start a rookie at LOT when there may not be anyone any good in the draft when that happens.

They are about to face replacing up to FOUR guys, so it's not as if there won't be spots to use a 2018 pick. AW played guard for up 3 seasons in CINN before switching to LOT, Rams can do that too. IF AW even lasts that long.

LOL
That's exactly what we're debating. Dick84 said, and I quote, "right now", wanting to use a 1'st pick for a LT in the upcoming draft.
Who mentioned Whitworth and indefinite in the same sentence ? How many times must I repeat that in 2019 we'll have a full compliment of draft picks for the first time in McVays time as HC ? They can then trade up if they find it necessary to land one of the top LT's. And if not 2019, then there will still be time in the 2020 draft if it looks like Whitworth finishes 2018 strong. We all know we are on borrowed time with Whitworth, but 2018 has the potential for a real run at the Super Bowl if the Rams play their cards right, and using a #1 pick on an OT which will likely play out of position in 2018 wouldn't be my first choice when we can invest in a player/position which might actually put the team over the top right now. This reeks of desperation. jmo.

by river
6 years 2 months ago
Practice Squad

Dick84 wrote:He'll be 37 next year and your projecting three more seasons out of him?

edit... the thread wasn't about "replacing" Williams.. it was about whether Williams is good enough to be a replacement for a while if Whitworth goes down. "Passable".

No, i'm projecting him for two more seasons (2018 & 2019) as his contract was for three. Drafts come before seasons, so 3 more drafts until Whitworth requires replacement if all goes accordingly.

As for "replacing" Williams, I should have simply said NO to him replacing Whitworth on any kind of permanent basis. As stated earlier, hopefully we draft an OT that can replace Williams as a reserve while also being considered as a developmental player who might improve his status so he can eventually compete for the starting role.

by /zn/
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

river wrote:LOL
That's exactly what we're debating. Dick84 said, and I quote, "right now", wanting to use a 1'st pick for a LT in the upcoming draft.

Dude...you didn't follow a word I said.

I am for drafting a left OT in round 1 this year myself, as I said in my first post in this long thread. BUT that does not mean REPLACING AW THIS YEAR.

As several of us have said several times. You can use the guy in any number of ways before AW is done. But then when AW is done...and I don't think he will play out his 3 year contract...you already have your next LOT.

What I said we weren't debating is the claim that AW "remaining serviceable is still better than anything we've had in ages."

Yeah we know he's better than what they had since Saffold's one full year at LOT in 2010.

BUT you can do better than merely serviceable going forward.

I want them to draft a future LOT this year (if one worth the pick is there when they pick) but most of this thread has been about what you do with that new guy until AW is done. No one said jettison AW or get rid of him before he's done.

No one you think you're arguing with has said anything different from what you say here...and that's going back pages in this thread:
as for "replacing" Williams, I should have simply said NO to him replacing Whitworth on any kind of permanent basis.

No one in this entire thread said REPLACE HIM NOW.

The post you just responded to here by me is about what you do with a guy before AW is done. Which could be after 2018.

And the reason some of us say draft a guy in round one is because your chances of drafting a viable LOT after round 2 are very slim. The draft history throughout the league is clear on that. You just don't have much of a chance drafting a left OT unless you use rounds 1 and 2.

by river
6 years 2 months ago
Practice Squad

/zn/ wrote:Dude...you didn't follow a word I said.

I am for drafting a left OT in round 1 this year myself, as I said in my first post in this long thread. BUT that does not mean REPLACING AW THIS YEAR.

As several of us have said several times. You can use the guy in any number of ways before AW is done. But then when AW is done...and I don't think he will play out his 3 year contract...you already have your next LOT.

What I said we weren't debating is the claim that AW "remaining serviceable is still better than anything we've had in ages."

Yeah we know he's better than what they had since Saffold's one full year at LOT in 2010.

BUT you can do better than merely serviceable going forward.

I want them to draft a future LOT this year (if one worth the pick is there when they pick) but most of this thread has been about what you do with that new guy until AW is done. No one said jettison AW or get rid of him before he's done.

No one you think you're arguing with has said anything different from what you say here...and that's going back pages in this thread:

No one in this entire thread said REPLACE HIM NOW.

The post you just responded to here by me is about what you do with a guy before AW is done. Which could be after 2018.

And the reason some of us say draft a guy in round one is because your chances of drafting a viable LOT after round 2 are very slim. The draft history throughout the league is clear on that. You just don't have much of a chance drafting a left OT unless you use rounds 1 and 2.

Guy, you need to pay attention to what you are reading and quit making stuff up. Nowhere did I even suggest that anyone was saying to replace Whitworth now with the upcoming draft, ... NOWHERE ! What I have repeatedly implied is that those who want to draft a LT with our 1'st pick may be over-reacting to the need to find his eventual replacement. I myself have called for a developmental and potential starting LT in the mid-rounds (3-5). I used a 3'rd rounder in my own mock for a LT for these very same reasons. Whitworth is still a damn good LT and will be our starter thru 2018. The Rams have no 2'nd round pick, we need our picks for positions which will improve the team now, not move us sideways by taking a LT which is likely to be playing out of position in 2018. As i've repeatedly said before, if the Rams must draft a 1'st round LT in 2019, they will have a full compliment of draft picks to move up, something they won't have this off-season. Draft a 3'rd or later round guy that Kromer likes, someone that can beat out Darrell Williams and potentially compete for a starting position, a guy suitable as a swing OT/OG for 2018, and let him learn from Whitworth. At worst you go into the 2019 draft and trade up if we are still in dire need, but as of now, we aren't.
The following is quoted from Dick84, this is what I was answering to when you decided to jump in :
"I'm not saying it's a must to use a first rounder on a LT this year.. that's what I would do *right now*.."

Now, i've stated my case for why I prefer moving in another direction than you and yours, I won't be looking at LT's unless they are most assuredly BPA, ... some here sound like they are more than willing to reach at a position they are stuck on. The Rams could find themselves in the Super Bowl next year if they play this coming free agency & draft exceptionally well, and reaching to draft a 1'st round LT prematurely isn't what I would consider a wise choice. We'll know a lot more on how to address these questions following the 1'st free agency period, now is not the time to panic about our LT or his position. jmo.

by /zn/
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

river wrote:Guy, you need to pay attention to what you are reading and quit making stuff up.

If you want to communicate, that's a very bad approach. And a bad first step. Which is as far as I read.

I know you've misread things I said. All I did was make an effort to clear them up. If you're claiming the same, that I misread, then avoid childish bs like "making stuff up." People misread all the time, it's part of the net...just clear it up, as I did with you. And without the added poster clash crap.

Because I don't have to read you at all. There's plenty of people to discuss the issue with.

by river
6 years 2 months ago
Practice Squad

/zn/ wrote:If you want to communicate, that's a very bad approach. And a bad first step. Which is as far as I read.

I know you've misread things I said. All I did was make an effort to clear them up. If you're claiming the same, that I misread, then avoid childish bs like "making stuff up." People misread all the time, it's part of the net...just clear it up, as I did with you. And without the added poster clash crap.

Because I don't have to read you at all. There's plenty of people to discuss the issue with.

LOL
I guess this is fine then : "Dude...you didn't follow a word I said."

And that would be fine by me if you don't read me. You were the same kind of -- artist at RamStalk, some things never change apparently. You made zero effort at clearing things up, you just repeated yourself numerous times before making a ridiculous claim. Have a good evening ...

by /zn/
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

And I don't remember you at all. 8-) But if you want to be a PD board asshole, that's fine. Carry on.

by river
6 years 2 months ago
Practice Squad

Dick84 wrote:So... instead of drafting an LT a year early... possibly have him upgrade the right side while learning the NFL..
You'd rather wait until it becomes a critical situation and trade up, using more draft capital.

Got it.

Also.. If you don't think McVay talking about good fortune with the Oline and injuries wasn't at least *partially* about having a 36 year old LT? Well.. cmon..

First, you are likely to need to trade-up this year if you want a top quality LT anyway, and we don't have a 2'nd rounder to help get the job done, ... next year we will. So, it's suddenly 'critical' in your opinion waiting a single year even if you pick somewhere lower in the draft for another OT as added depth who might yet develop under Kromer for something bigger later ?

Got it.

by /zn/
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:So... instead of drafting an LT a year early... possibly have him upgrade the right side while learning the NFL..
You'd rather wait until it becomes a critical situation and trade up, using more draft capital.

Yeah that's precisely what has to be avoided.

Myself, assuming a guy is there to be picked, I don't even need him to replace Hav in 2018. It's fine with me if he is a 6th lineman, depth, and an injury replacement on the bench his first year.

Meanwhile, yes they were lucky on the injury front in 2017. Plus as has been noted Saffold, Brown, and Hav are all free agents after 2018, and they don;t have a center yet but when they sign him (Sullivan) he's an older guy too. Add all that up, and if AW declines or gets injured, right now that means having to replace all 5 linemen after the 2018 season.

by aeneas1
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

what are the odds that a first-time nfl head coach, with just 3 years worth of nfl coordinator experience under his belt, would not only turn around a 4-12 team that hadn't seen a winning season in 13 years, but also lead it to double digit wins, the nfc west crown and the postseason?

about the same as an nfl offensive lineman starting 16 games at the age of 36, 37, 38, 39 and 40, earning all-pro honors in 3 of those 5 years, and pro bowl honors in all 5 of those years, en route to the hall of fame?

could it be that whitworth has the stamina, physical durability, and desire to be the next bruce matthews? wouldn't that be cool!

• 18 / 20
191 posts Mar 28 2024