191 posts
  • 1 / 20
 by sloramfan
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

we get a middle LB and we are good...

the problem i have is that AO is such a good persuit LB how does he see the field... i dont wanna get rid of a talent, just cant put up with his weak tackles...where does he fit if we draft/FA a killer instinct MLB?

go rams

slo

by /zn/
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

My vote...they need to draft a tackle this year. Probably in the 1st round too since they don't have a 2nd rounder (assuming there's a guy there worth the 23rd pick). Plus as a rule you do not get starting caliber LOTs after round 2. I even looked this up. I looked at OTs taken in round 3 and after from 2006-2015 (ie. a decade). 122 OTs were drafted and of those 4 became viable NFL starting LOTs. That's 4 in a decade or just over 3%. As a rule good LOTs are 1st and 2nd rounders.

There's no guarantee Whitworth plays every game next year and quality depth would help.

Besides, if you draft a guy in 2018 you don't have to worry about starting a rookie in 2019, plus Hav is a FA after 2018 anyway so at that point, if you don't take a LOT in 2018, you could be looking for 2 OTs.

I don't care if the guy is on the bench for a year...in fact it's ideal. You get depth in the meanwhile plus (assuming he's a good one and a keeper) you have your LOT for the next decade learning behind Whitworth.

`

by Elmgrovegnome
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   624  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

I don't like drafting for position. Wait until the Rams pick gets close and take the best player that fits a need. Don't pass up a very good pass rusher for a lesser tackle. When a team picks for need you have to be able to move to a spot that lands the player that is desired. If a team stands pat then it is BPA at position of need.

by /zn/
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Elmgrovegnome wrote:I don't like drafting for position. Wait until the Rams pick gets close and take the best player that fits a need. Don't pass up a very good pass rusher for a lesser tackle. When a team picks for need you have to be able to move to a spot that lands the player that is desired. If a team stands pat then it is BPA at position of need.

Rams traded up in 2016 because they needed a qb. So drafting for need is a real thing and I don;t dismiss it. All other things being equal or at least close to equal, there are times when drafting for need is exactly what you have to do.

Without an at least solid LOT, that offense doesn't function. Whitworth won't last.

Good drafting teams pick players for all kinds of reasons, there is no one true doctrine. BPA, value, fit, need. Depends.

So for me, if there's a left OT who represents decent value at 23, I take him. In contrast, if I take a different position because a player there at 23 represents greater value, and then Whit goes out (plus of course has to be replaced anyway because of age), I am not going to look at a faltering offense with problems at LOT and console myself by going well at least I didn;t draft for need. 8-)

by PARAM
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12185  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I'd like to know the research on OT's tackles taken in the first two rounds. I would think first rounders become starters at some point in year 1, sometimes from the get go, not sit the bench. And I'm not worried about lacking a 2nd round pick. Wheeling-Dealing Les Snead seems to get us where we need to be in the draft.

by rams74
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1460  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

I can't see the point of using your first round pick to take a LOT just because you're in such a hurry to replace one of the key performers on the whole team. Whitworth is not dead, yet, so why the rush to bury him?

Run defense has to be a top priority. A run stopper in the front seven would be a target for round 1 in my book.

by dieterbrock
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote: Plus as a rule you do not get starting caliber LOTs after round 2. I even looked this up.

I dont know where you come up with this stuff.
10 teams out of 32 (31%) started LOT who werent drafted in the 1st or 2nd round
Team-round drafted
Jets 7th
Steelers UDFA
Browns 5th
Texans UDFA
OAK FA (Pro bowl)
Eagles 5th
Saints 3rd
Packers 4th
Bears 7th
Cards 5th

by dieterbrock
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Drafting BPA over need is what landed the Rams Gurley and Donald.
Drafting for need landed the Rams Greg Robinson

by dieterbrock
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Drafting for need got them Goff.

Sometimes the *value* of a player available is so great that you can't pass them up. Other than that? It's always a mix of value and need. If your need is a player whose value is far below the tier of players currently available.. a team goes to a secondary need or trades down.

If you decide there is a great player at a position you have a dire need for.. you draft that player or try to trade up for that player, quite often.

People are locked into this argument for argument's sake, imo.

They traded up for Goff because they thought he was the BPA, a generational talent.

by RamsFanSince82
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

• 1 / 20
191 posts Mar 28 2024