130 posts
  • 8 / 13
 by Will0120
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1172  
Canada   Vancouver, Canada
Commissioner

dieterbrock wrote:A former colleague of mine, father with 2 young kids, was following protocol in terminating a female employee for excessive abscences. He had his assistant mgr in the office with him during the discussion. Asst mgr abruptly left the office for a minute to answer her phone, and when she returned the employee claimed that the manager said she could keep her job if she had sex with him. He was terminated.

Wow... Did he sue for wrongful termination after? If he didn't do it, I don't even know what to say... Did that company actually do a thorough investigation? :evil:

by St. Loser Fan
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

While not football related, I highly recommend you all check out Salma Hayak's NY Times piece from today. It aches to read.

by dieterbrock
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Will0120 wrote:Wow... Did he sue for wrongful termination after? If he didn't do it, I don't even know what to say... Did that company actually do a thorough investigation? :evil:

It was her word against his. Yes, HR did an investigation, interviewed other employees.
The employee was moved to a different location and kept her employment.
She stuck to her story. He was initially suspended then given a small severance
He got hired by another company, a competitor, and wanted the whole thing to go away. Wanted to avoid additional embarrassment for himself and his family

Point being that it infuriates me what it is like in "the real world" compared to this blatant harassment

by Will0120
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1172  
Canada   Vancouver, Canada
Commissioner

dieterbrock wrote:It was her word against his. Yes, HR did an investigation, interviewed other employees.
The employee was moved to a different location and kept her employment.
She stuck to her story. He was initially suspended then given a small severance
He got hired by another company, a competitor, and wanted the whole thing to go away. Wanted to avoid additional embarrassment for himself and his family

Point being that it infuriates me what it is like in "the real world" compared to this blatant harassment

That's unbelievable. I would have sued the shit out of that company if I didn't do it and that happened. It's almost like an admission of guilt by not suing... I am pissed just reading this... :|

by Haden
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2133  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

I work as a divorce attorney and have done so for 25 years. I can't tell you all of the problems with workplace sexual activities that have caused tremendous fallout. Too numerous to list.

Like the other 2 partners in a dental firm who were forced to equally share in a 900K lawsuit judgment because their partner fondled the breasts of a dental hygienist. The two partners did nothing wrong but still own the liability.

A doctor that had sex with his nurse (happens all the time) and blew up not only his marriage but destroyed the orthopedic firm when the nurse sued after being terminated for developing a pain killer addiction.

An attorney who had sex with his paralegal and not only had to pay a substantial judgment but was divorced by his wife in the process.

Folks can wax and wane about office romances, but who cares where they are all employees. At worst, somebody loses their job. The real issue is that of the employer - the owners - they have the real liability. Thus a smart small business enforces a no sexual fraternization policy. It prevents liability.

Granted, a major corporation employing thousands of people can't do that. However, many still overtly ban superiors from having sexual relationships with subordinates. Same applies to police departments and military. The only way you can prevent liability is to not do it. Period.

Interesting that the issue of an airline pilot was raised. I can tell you from experience (and I am a published author on this divorce area -see my book "Divorce In Washington" by David J. Crouse), airline pilots are constantly involved in this mess. Its rife throughout the industry. Pilots and flight attendants hook up with often disastrous family/divorce results. They lose their jobs too. Further, the airline industry was well known for the hazing of female pilots in the 70s and 80s. Thankfully, that has changed. My daughter is now a pilot.

The point is that if you are an employee with no deep pockets, you are flotsam in the tide. The failure of employers to properly police their employees and provide a safe workplace is a cause for major liability AS IT SHOULD BE. As we say at continuing legal education conferences (just spoke at one this morning), allow it at your own risk.

I feel bad for folks that are wrongly accused. Sounds trite, but if you develop a reputation in your industry of never telling a sexist joke, being a straight arrow, not having lunch with the opposite sex alone, not going out for drinks etc. you will likely not be victim. It is so easy to do all of these things away from work. If you party, known for chasing girls, tell sleazy jokes, etc. you are a target. I guarantee that no gal is going to try and frame Kurt Warner. Nobody buys it. Since Faulk has laid pipe right and left historically, he could easily be made a target (and probably is totally guilty).

I feel even worse for folks who are victimized. I am glad the axe is falling on the scumbags.

by Neil039
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Dealt with manipulating people for a long time. FOLLOW YOUR GUT IS MY BEST ADVICE. Typically correct the majority of the time.

When I worked for the state, you'd see daily firings of state correctional employees both men and women for inappropriate relationships. Always blew my mind.

Man sexual abuse infuriates me. It's an epidemic in schools right now with teachers and coaches. People celebrated Hugh Hefner, the guy was the ultimate lech.

Just enforces our responsibilities as parents so teach our sons and daughters about healthy relationships.

by haroldjackson29
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   842  
Veteran

Trolling is a subjective childish internet term people use when they don't like what someone says.
Mature adults should never use the term.just dumb trendy slang. Either someone is lying or they arent.

Media is trolling you with this story lol it never happened.it doesn't exist

by RedAlice
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

Not true. People can express an opinion on the internet and discuss it rationally with others they disagree with. As we do 95% or more of the time on this board.

Trolling is a real thing whereby opinions or else are posted simply to rile others up intentionally and get a response or just to argue with people.

Huge difference. And very real.

We are in good hands on this board and have very little of the devisive version.

by haroldjackson29
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   842  
Veteran

I just had an earthquake in Oregon.I moved from California 2 years ago.i don't like this

• 8 / 13
130 posts Apr 16 2024