15 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by Legends
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   162  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

As I poured over scouting reports of our draftees & freeagents one significant thing kept turning up "instinctive". I thought this was kind of interesting because Les Snead has been fairly successful with these later round draft choices. Another thing that was fairly consistent was "football player". Some of these guys didn't have eye-catching speed, but being instinctive can make up for a step or two. Just something I noticed that I thought might interest you guys. In spite of our lack of high draft choices I think the preliminary reports look pretty good.

by Legends
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   162  
Rookie

Something I neglected to pick up guys. Your absolutely right. Some one as football saavy as Sean McVay couldn't abide a guy who was slow to catch on. Guess three things stick-out, intelligence, instintive, and toughness.

by bubbaramfan
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1117  
United States of America   Carson Landfill
Pro Bowl

This was something Jeff Fisher didn't get and McVay does. McVay also gets you can't measure "game intensity", "plays with pain" and just plain "football smarts". Fisher made mistakes with guys like Brian Quick and Tavon Austin, both of who had trouble understanding complicated plays and understanding what everyone was supposed to do on a given play.

by Flash
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1203  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

I wonder if that is why Watkins wasn’t retained. He just didn’t “get” the playbook.

by dieterbrock
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Flash wrote:I wonder if that is why Watkins wasn’t retained. He just didn’t “get” the playbook.

It’s not the play book that lead to Watkins leaving.
It was the check book.
Rams wouldn’t make it as fat

by phoenixrising
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

Yep, intelligence was the thing that stood out to me. And game experience. Equates to early contributions.

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:

Greg Robinson - 2013 | Returning starter at left offensive tackle ... started every game ... second team All-America (FWAA, SI.com, Phil Steele) ... AP first team All-SEC ... paved the way for a pair of 1,000 yard rushers in Tre Mason and Nick Marshall ... helped Auburn post program record for rushing yards (4,596) and rushing touchdowns (48) ... NFL.com all-bowl team ... SEC Academic Honor Roll ... applied for early entry into NFL draft ... NFL Combine invitee ... No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, selected by the St. Louis Rams.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-fo ... 74220.html

by Rams1PlateSince1976
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2071  
Pro Bowl

Well, intelligence, game savvy and toughness can't overcome lack of the physical attributes. My sister was scored with a 172 IQ and could throw a football or baseball like a guy. A tremendous athlete but never grew taller than 5'2". She lettered in every sport in high school but never got an invite to even play college ball.

• 1 / 2
15 posts Mar 28 2024