15 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by Elvis
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

1. First, really thought your latest column about fan support in L.A. hit the nail on the head. Besides L.A., what impact do you think the trend towards privately funded stadiums will have in the NFL?

Obviously it's getting harder and harder to get public money from cities and states to pay for sports stadiums. And in California it's just not happening, which is why the Raiders and Chargers are in such dire predicaments. I'm not saying we'll never see it happen again, but I think it's trending away from that and I think sports leagues in General will have to adjust. That provably means more privately funded stadiums.

2. I may have this wrong but it really seems like this NFL to L.A. story has raised your prominence quite a bit. Is this true? What do you make of it? Any plans to cash in on your star rising? Got an agent yet?

Ha! First off thank you. This story has been a wild ride that's for sure and there is no doubt it's raised my profile - especially in San Diego, St. Louis and Oakland. (Not always in a positive way unfortunately) That's been interesting no doubt. I don't enjoy having to deliver bad news to people, and it kind of sucks I've been put in that spot with this story. But I recognize that, which is why I am very, very, VERY careful about painting as honest, accurate a picture as I possibly can. That sometimes gets complicated because there is tremendous sensitivity and some people chose not to talk on the record. Doesn't mean they DON'T talk it's just they don't want it being attributed directly to them.

But when I write something I just want people to understand it's an honest accurate portrayal of the latest developments. Readers may disagree or even not like what I write, but I know it's accurate, so I can live with whatever reactions it creates

Where it ends up taking me, we'll see. No agent.

3. We're an L.A. based fan forum hoping the Rams will return to L.A. What do you think our chances are at this point?

There are still many variables in play. And ultimately the NFL will navigate this across the finish line. But I truly believe the Rams intention is to push for relocation to Los Angeles. Whether they get their wish is up to the league, though.

4. Some people have said you're basically just a mouth piece for Mark Fabiani, what do you say to that? Do you find him to be a straight shooter? Where do you think the Chargers end up?

The whole Mark Faniani thing is interesting to me, because it's more about approach and strategy than anything else. In other words, just because he's quoted on the record doesn't mean I talk more with him than anyone else involved. It's just that the Chargers have decided to be more aggressive in their strategy while others choose an opposite approach.

But if you read what I write I think it's pretty obvious I have insight beyond Faniani So I completely reject the whole mouthpiece narrative. It gets frustrating to hear that because I know it's b.s.

I had an NFL executive tell me this about Mark: his role is to be the bad cop out front so that Dean Spanos doesn't have to be, and anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand dynamics.

As far as being a straight shooter, in my dealings with him I've found him him to be completely on the up and up. Everything he's said checks out. Unfortunately a lot if what he's said isn't good news for San Diego. And I think that stirs emotions and creates anger.

4. If the NFL does make it back to L.A., any interest in a beat reporter gig?

Not sure about being a daily guy for one team bit maybe the "NFL" guy type role.

5. Any preference between Vinny and Vincent?

Byline is Vincent but I'm totally Vinny everywhere else.

6. What do you think of Elvis Presley?

Bad ass

by Hacksaw
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Great questions Elvis. Sounds like as much as all the signals are pointing towards Kroenke moving, it's still on the league and the "dire predicament " SD and Oakland are in. This is a bit worrisome. I still smell the scenario I've laid out and as VB alluded "Rams intention to push" may be enough. I wonder how hard they will push...
Gret job Elvis!

by TSFH Fan
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   699  
United States of America   The OC
Veteran

Thanks for all you do Elvis . . . and it's a lot!

by Elvis
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

If only the real Elvis had been as well appreciated as i am.

Thanks guys, but really, no thanks necessary. I'm doing this for my own amusement as much as anything else. And so far it's a lot of fun.

Hopefully we can keep growing and keep the quality of posters as high as it is now.

by max
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5579  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

One question I have is Vinny's statement that EVERYTHING Fabiani has said checks out. Fred Roggin has made several statements that calls Fabiani out on what he has said as NOT checking out.

Another question I have is that Vinny did not say the same about Carmen Policy, who we have not heard a peep out of for a while.

I do believe Fabiani is intentionally the "bad cop" to Spanos's "good cop", as Vinny pointed out. I understand the dynamic, Spanos has interest in staying in SD. Kroenke has no interest in being the "good cop" because he has no interest in staying in StL.

by Hacksaw
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

max wrote: I understand the dynamic, Spanos has interest in staying in SD. Kroenke has no interest in being the "good cop" because he has no interest in staying in StL.

This is reason alone for the owners to vote for the Rams.

by Stranger
8 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   Norcal
Superstar

How do we get him back for another Q&A?

• 1 / 2
15 posts Mar 29 2024